NEVER FORGET !

NEVER FORGET !

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

With BBC America on Satellite TV, I Can Travel Through Time and Space

Guest Post by Monica Sanders
As an American fan of the long-running British science-fiction series "Doctor Who", I have plenty of experience waiting for new episodes of my favorite show. In the days before I got one of the cable tv deals in Illinois, it would often take years for episodes of this exciting UK series to get released on DVD or play on television here in the States.
With BBC America, however, new episodes of this manic, magical show regularly air in the U.S. just a week or two after they've premiered in England. Even at the ripe old age of 39, I still feel like a giddy kid every time I sit down in front of the television to watch the latest time-traveling, planet-hopping exploits of the 900-year-old Time Lord and his human companions. Thanks to this great channel, my living room plays host to Daleks, Cybermen, and all manner of other evil alien menaces every Saturday evening, and I never have to worry about stumbling across spoilers on the internet. I get to watch the latest machinations of these malevolent monsters shortly after fans on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean first see them.
As a sci-fi nerd, there's something poetic and immensely satisfying about getting the newest episodes of my favorite show via space age technology. A signal beamed through an orbiting satellite and straight into my TV set lets me travel through time and space with the Doctor and his friends. It's like my television set is my own personal TARDIS time machine which, thanks to BBC America, always takes me exactly where I want to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment